Following the completion of a housing needs survey by Babergh Parish Council which identified a significant requirement for affordable housing in the local community, Iceni Homes progressed with this rural exceptions site with Marfleet Construction.
The Sand Hill site was identified following an assessment of potential site options and progresses through to a planning approval in early 2015, with works commencing on site in the Autumn of 2015.
This development of 25 new homes includes 20 Affordable Rented units, which are under Suffolk Housing Society’s management following handover in September 2016.
Affordable rent homes for locals
In order to aid the financial viability of the scheme, a mix of tenures are being provided, with five market sale homes helping to fund the provision of twenty homes for affordable rent – to be prioritised for those with a connection to the Parish.
Home types being constructed:
For affordable rent
- 4 No. 1 bed flats
- 6 No. 2 Bed Bungalows
- 6 No. 2 Bed Houses
- 4 No. 3 Bed Houses
- 2 No. 2 Bed 3 Person Bungalows
- 1 No. 2 Bed 4 Person Bungalow
- 2 No. 3 Bed 5 Person Houses
- Project Value: £3.7 million
- Grant Received: £400,000
- Grant Source: Homes England
- Start on site: September 2015
- Anticipated Completion: February 2017
- Architect: Annand & Mustoe Architects
- Contractor: Marfleet Construction
- Employers Agent: Sweett Group